A forum for owners of Yamaha TTR250 trail and enduro bikes!

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Auxilary LED's, Improved day and night vision
AZL


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Date:
Auxilary LED's, Improved day and night vision
Permalink  
 


Here's a nice, easy and cheap mod for your TTR.

Having replaced several head lamp bulbs and being generally underwhelmed by its brightness anyway, I decided to fit some extra lights.

I didn't want massive spot lights as don't generally need super night vision, but do commute and aware that the standard light may not be seen by drivers.

 

I also saw some small LED lights on Ebay.  as they were 99p(inc p+p) for a pair and coming from China, I wasn't expecting anything great (that's if they did turn up!).  Well they arrived and tested on a battery I was surprised how bright they were.

I made up a simple 'L' shaped bracket to mount onto front light surround bolts.  Wired into dipped beam circuit inside front light and bingo!

I may be getting a bit too excited, but they are brilliant!  Very bright and noticeable for Daytime riding and surprisingly good when I was on a trail when it got dark.  A good spread of light, illuminating far enough ahead without casting massive shadows.

Definitely worth the time and 99p !



Attachments
__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 974
Date:
Permalink  
 

have you got a ebay number or link id like 2 of those

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 214
Date:
Permalink  
 

AZL wrote:

Here's a nice, easy and cheap mod for your TTR.

Having replaced several head lamp bulbs and being generally underwhelmed by its brightness anyway, I decided to fit some extra lights.

I didn't want massive spot lights as don't generally need super night vision, but do commute and aware that the standard light may not be seen by drivers.

 

I also saw some small LED lights on Ebay.  as they were 99p(inc p+p) for a pair and coming from China, I wasn't expecting anything great (that's if they did turn up!).  Well they arrived and tested on a battery I was surprised how bright they were.

I made up a simple 'L' shaped bracket to mount onto front light surround bolts.  Wired into dipped beam circuit inside front light and bingo!

I may be getting a bit too excited, but they are brilliant!  Very bright and noticeable for Daytime riding and surprisingly good when I was on a trail when it got dark.  A good spread of light, illuminating far enough ahead without casting massive shadows.

Definitely worth the time and 99p !


 Make sure you put resistors in with cheap LEDs or they will burn out quickly. Here's a calculator to work out what size you need. Yes you need them http://ledcalc.com/



__________________

Land Rover and now TTR tragic 

AZL


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Date:
Permalink  
 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-2-1pc-LED-High-Power-Eagle-Eye-Car-DRL-Rear-Reverse-Backup-Parking-Light-Lamp-/351605214304?var=&hash=item0

Hope this helps

 

Thanks for the other info on resistors, I'll check that out



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 214
Date:
Permalink  
 

AZL wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-2-1pc-LED-High-Power-Eagle-Eye-Car-DRL-Rear-Reverse-Backup-Parking-Light-Lamp-/351605214304?var=&hash=item0

Hope this helps

 

Thanks for the other info on resistors, I'll check that out


 No dramaswink. Essentially no resistors results in more heat which will eventually kill the LED. This can take a long or very short time so you might get lucky and have them last a while. Or if you're like me and get bad luck as your only form of luck, they'll burn out real quick 

 

http://led.linear1.org/why-do-i-need-a-resistor-with-an-led/



__________________

Land Rover and now TTR tragic 



Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2500
Date:
Permalink  
 

Good stuff lads, I have ordered mine and will get some resistorssmile



__________________

totallyttrs.com

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 692
Date:
Permalink  
 

Don't worry about the resistors, those are eagle Eye LEDs, I use them for blinkers, they also come already fitted with resistors, 33ohm, they look like 2-3 watt versions

seem to do the job perfectly as I have been using the blinkers for a couple of years or more now

 

 



__________________

2004 TTR250 - Highway Dirtbike Hand Guards, 38mm Bar Risers, D606 Front & Rear, Opened up Airbox with Twin Air Filter, Re-jetted Carby, B+B Bash Plate & Frame Guards, DIY 3mm Alloy Tail Tidy, 14/47 Gearing.

 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 214
Date:
Permalink  
 

BM Steve wrote:

 

Don't worry about the resistors, those are eagle Eye LEDs, I use them for blinkers, they also come already fitted with resistors, 33ohm, they look like 2-3 watt versions

seem to do the job perfectly as I have been using the blinkers for a couple of years or more now

 

 



 



Well there you go. Didn't know they had inbuilt resisters. That's cool wink Carry on then, I know I do biggrin

 

EDIT: I have the same lights on my TTR with resistors. I showed them to a dude in Jaycar who said they don't have resistors in them. He may have been wrong though. Anyway, they work fine with resistors. I'll check the ohm rating of mine and post back later.  Also interesting that they don't mention that they have inbuilt resistors in the add on eBay. 



-- Edited by pricey on Wednesday 19th of October 2016 02:53:16 AM

__________________

Land Rover and now TTR tragic 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 214
Date:
Permalink  
 

So these are the exact lights I bought: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131523877531?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT They look identical to the ones the OP posted.

Using the LED calculator I posted earlier you enter 12 volts, with a 3.5 voltage drop (white have a voltage drop of 3/3.5 volts), and the lights are 300 mA. Then hit the calculate button. I bought 12 oHm resistors as the calculator suggested (and the jaycar dude recommended) and have had no dramas. YMMV

These are the resistors I bought: 

https://www.jaycar.com.au/12-ohm-5-watt-wire-wound-resistor/p/RR3252

 

EDIT: I made a mistake on my calculation before. The 12 oHm is the correct resistor for the lights I posted. Also lights the OP posted the link for are 1.5W and the lights I have (and posted above) are 9W.  12 oHms are right for 9w, not 1.5W.  Also the 9W are super dooper bright wink If you think the 1.5s are bright, the 9s are friggen awesome biggrin

 



-- Edited by pricey on Wednesday 19th of October 2016 05:39:53 AM

__________________

Land Rover and now TTR tragic 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Date:
Permalink  
 

I've got a 16W strip in a metal case with fins mounted above my headlight, it's about 3x as bright and traffic queues part before me when filtering in traffic.  You can see it's on down leafy green lanes in daytime and it's hugely superior when you're running late and going down them in the dark/dusk.  Plus it uses only half the electric so the battery is always in good condition. (A low beam switch out is also fitted).  From China, around £10 for 2 if I remember, 1st one not failed in 18m...



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 133
Date:
Permalink  
 

Change the headlight bulb to led and you will have no disintegration/blowing problems .
The ttr uses DC lighting system to its just a matter of fitting new bulb .
I think i have the same one 4 years with the filament bulb a new one was needed every 2 months .
The safety fact of bright lights on bikes is a no brainer , a motorist stopped me in a petrol station recently and said he nearly pulled out in front of me as he hadnt seen me against the sun the only thing that caught his eye was the bright LED so as Allan Patridge says leds are brighter than the rudy sun .

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Date:
Permalink  
 

That looks a really good, effective mod (and cheap too) FAR better IMHO than faffing around with generator rewinds and makes bike far safer(visibility) wise.

Nick



__________________


Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1482
Date:
Permalink  
 

I use the same lights for my garden  lighting and a couple above my vice as my shed is a full DIY  solar set up 

Cheap and work well.  



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard