A forum for owners of Yamaha TTR250 trail and enduro bikes!

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Two TTR's a couple of old buggers & sand


Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1454
Date:
Two TTR's a couple of old buggers & sand
Permalink  
 


Had a call last week from my mate Dave (we both have TTR's WRR's & Scramblers & been riding together for close to 50yrs) he wanted to know if I wanted to come up to his holiday house on the coast. I said yes in the blink of an eye.

TTR on the trailer, 160kms up to his place, Monday afternoon we headed South on gravel roads, sandy tracks & deep sand, even got some beach riding in.  The beach would be the most fun, cool breeze sand seaweed & some deep sand. Plenty of sand tracks with whoops but the soft deep sand is hard work.  Close to getting stuck a few times & bloody hard on the arms, close to coming off a fair few times as well & just as well I didn't have the gopro because there was a fair bit of swearing.

We did around 120kms of hard stuff on day one, my upper body was pretty sore at the end of the day.

Day two we headed North, Sandy tracks onto the beach, plenty of beach riding, even more soft sand & a really nice dirt road along side the coast, sweeping bends up & down with the odd bit of sand.  Fuel up & keep heading North, turn back & follow pretty close to the same route but more beach & some sand flats.  Around 240kms on day two

Dirt/ sand roads sitting on 90/100kph bad head shake & bit scary....slide back to the rear of the seat would help heaps.  I though it was just me but Dave had the same issues, also on the really deep sand sliding back on the seat & plenty of throttle made it easier but there was plenty of turns on the crest of the deep sand & the second you back off the front digs in badly....I think we need more time on the sand to master it.

I took a couple of photos but only when we stopped for a rest, none in the sand because it was so easy to get stuck.

129588014_10157895972177864_2637624636006745769_n.jpg

129777604_10157895972052864_109148887667149966_n.jpg

129885480_10157895972077864_6189169766602480144_n.jpg

129977483_10157895972117864_9188167376272340231_n.jpg

 

 



-- Edited by TerryK on Wednesday 9th of December 2020 02:14:23 AM

Attachments
__________________

TT-R250 & WR250R for dirty fun

Triumph Thruxton for the twisties

Triumph Scrambler for fun

 YOUTUBE channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSstOEnd2NSu0Va6kt2ySg



Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2485
Date:
Permalink  
 

Stunning scenery matey smilesmile

Nice to have mates like that!



__________________

totallyttrs.com

 



Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8352
Date:
Permalink  
 

Great stuff - I love beach riding but our nearest is in S. Ireland and that's a long way to go to do it. No riding allowed on our local beaches.



__________________

Exeter, Devon, UK

http://www.ttr250.com  - The one and only dedicated TTR250 FAQ! 
 

TIP: For easy viewing bookmark the "Recent Posts" view - http://ttr250.activeboard.com/p/recent/ 



Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1454
Date:
Permalink  
 

TTRfan wrote:

Great stuff - I love beach riding but our nearest is in S. Ireland and that's a long way to go to do it. No riding allowed on our local beaches.


 Can't believe we are still able to ride along the beach but it is 150/160kms from Adelaide so a little more relaxed



__________________

TT-R250 & WR250R for dirty fun

Triumph Thruxton for the twisties

Triumph Scrambler for fun

 YOUTUBE channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSstOEnd2NSu0Va6kt2ySg



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 451
Date:
Permalink  
 

Looks like a fantastic ride Terry.

Deep sand is so different to what I'm used to. I grew up riding slippery clay and didn't ride any sand at all until I was in my forties. Took a while to get my head around it. Complete opposites to ride, one be careful and gentle on the throttle, but sand hold full throttle and don't use the front brake.   Feels funny having to accelerate down a sand dune so your front wheel doesn't wash out!

Beach riding is the best, sadly Victoria sucks for that.



__________________


Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1454
Date:
Permalink  
 

Kaos wrote:

Looks like a fantastic ride Terry.

Deep sand is so different to what I'm used to. I grew up riding slippery clay and didn't ride any sand at all until I was in my forties. Took a while to get my head around it. Complete opposites to ride, one be careful and gentle on the throttle, but sand hold full throttle and don't use the front brake.   Feels funny having to accelerate down a sand dune so your front wheel doesn't wash out!

Beach riding is the best, sadly Victoria sucks for that.


 Video from 2016, same two bikes & riders, we did this sandy track so much of the tracks were like this

Also from 2016



__________________

TT-R250 & WR250R for dirty fun

Triumph Thruxton for the twisties

Triumph Scrambler for fun

 YOUTUBE channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSstOEnd2NSu0Va6kt2ySg



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 208
Date:
Permalink  
 

We are stuck to a 5km limit from home and will be for the next 2 months min. Bloody disaster.

__________________

1996 TTR 250 OE, 1996 YAMAHA WR 200, 1990 YAMAHA FZR 1000,2001 HONDA DEAUVILLE 650, 2005 TTR 250, 1998 Honda CR125R( in pieces) 1994 Kasawaski KX 250.



Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1482
Date:
Permalink  
 

jasparach wrote:

We are stuck to a 5km limit from home and will be for the next 2 months min. Bloody disaster.


 That's no good hope it ends after that.  Really lucky here in Ozz  only a few  restrictions moving between states at least 5 hours drive to any border from my place  so Lucky its not affecting riding at the moment.  



__________________


Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1454
Date:
Permalink  
 

ttboof wrote:
jasparach wrote:

We are stuck to a 5km limit from home and will be for the next 2 months min. Bloody disaster.


 That's no good hope it ends after that.  Really lucky here in Ozz  only a few  restrictions moving between states at least 5 hours drive to any border from my place  so Lucky its not affecting riding at the moment.  


 Really lucky here in Australia ATM, the big moat helps of course. Good luck to all stuck at home

Cheers Terry



__________________

TT-R250 & WR250R for dirty fun

Triumph Thruxton for the twisties

Triumph Scrambler for fun

 YOUTUBE channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSstOEnd2NSu0Va6kt2ySg



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 54
Date:
Permalink  
 

TerryK wrote:

 Really lucky here in Australia ATM, the big moat helps of course. Good luck to all stuck at home

Cheers Terry


 No luck or moat involved, not in a world linked by air travel. This was good governance and good social responsibility by the governed.



__________________


Super Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1454
Date:
Permalink  
 

GraemeSydney wrote:
TerryK wrote:

 Really lucky here in Australia ATM, the big moat helps of course. Good luck to all stuck at home

Cheers Terry


 No luck or moat involved, not in a world linked by air travel. This was good governance and good social responsibility by the governed.


 And what's sad we could have done it even better if not for a few issues...Ruby Princess for one.  Anyhow we did well

Cheers Terry



__________________

TT-R250 & WR250R for dirty fun

Triumph Thruxton for the twisties

Triumph Scrambler for fun

 YOUTUBE channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSstOEnd2NSu0Va6kt2ySg

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard