Before I attack my rear wheel with my biggest hammer & chisel (dont panic Brian) is there a technique thats easier or can anyone recommend a bearing pulling kit that I can buy.
Thanks in advance
Essex, How I love my TTR
Best advice I can give you, Carlo, is to be patient.
Take a look at the advice Brian gives, here:-
A look at how the bearings, distance pieces and collars fit together will give an idea of the task involved.
You're never too old to learn something stupid
Budleigh Salterton. Devon
all done, went to see the nice men at Alf Hagons,
Glad you got it sorted Carlo
For anyone else interested in a bearing extractor, I bought one of these kits from eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bearing-remover-extractor-puller-exelnt-wheel-brg-/200659339643?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2eb83a897b#ht_1074wt_1185
It works very well but the extractors in the kit only fit the front wheel bearings and the rear spacers but not the rear wheel bearings
I got a mate with a lathe to turn me up the right sized extractor in stainless steel for the rear bearings and it works a treat. It takes quite a battering as some of the bikes I get in have been standing for a long time and the alloy in the hub corrodes which, along with the rust can make 'em a bit tough to get out on occasions
Exeter areahttp://www.ttr250.com http://www.totallyttrs.com/ http://www.totallyttrs.com/TTR_extras http://www.ttr250.com/used_parts
http://ttr250.activeboard.com/ - THE forum for TTR250 owners
Just thought I'd add to this thread as it may be of interest to anyone removing their bearings but don't have a bearing puller.
I'm in the process of making a set of moto wheels so that I can use my bike a bit more often and bought a set of wheels off another forum member. The rims were a bit tired, so decided to replace them with nice new black ones and thought it best to do the bearings as well.
Saw this thread and Brians post, but I've spent enough, would not use them often and thought there must be another way. Whilst in B&Q noticed the expanding anchor bolts and thought they would do the trick.
Tried it tonight on the front hub by tightening the expaning bolt in the bearing, heating the hub with my paint stripper neat gun, passed a drift through the hub from the other side, gave it a good tap with a hammer and they popped straight out.
Going to get one to suit the rear hub now, cost just a few quid :)
Need to order some new bearings now.
Sounds good! Was it this sort of thing that you used? http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/fixings/anchor_bolts/B-and-Q-Anchor-Bolts-M10x40mm-M10x105L-9372109
Similar but the projecting type, so that I could grip the thread with mole grips and get really tight in the bearing.
When I get one to suit the rear wheel, I'll take photos of each stage and post them.
Thanks for the tip Rick, never would have thought of that one, for our Aussie riders these bolts are called Dyna Bolts, available from any resonable hardware store
2004 TTR250 - Highway Dirtbike Hand Guards, Raised Bars, Dunlop 605 Knobbies, Opened Up Airbox with Twin Air Filter, Re-jetted Carby, 14/52 Gearing, B+B Bash Plate & Frame Guards, Home Made Tail Tidy, Apart from that it's bog Standard ;-)
As promised in another thread regarding the removal of wheel bearings, I have now sucessfully removed the rear collars and bearings using an expanding through bolt rather than an expensive bearing puller.
These are the bolts I purchased; the smaller M8 for the front wheel and the larger M12 for the rear wheel.
First the bolt was inserted into the collar.
Then tightened up and expanded into the collar, using the mole grips to hold the bolt.
A drift was inserted into the other side of the hub to tap the bolt and collar out.
Next the bolt was inserted into the bearing and the process repeated.
The bolt was tighteded in the bearing.
Some heat was applied to the hub.
The drift was again inserted into the hub from the opposite side to tap the bearing out.
The bearing came out quite easily without damaging the sides of the hub.
The other bearings took a few attempts as they were quite rusty and seized in. The last bearing had to be tapped out with the drift but all came out without too much trouble and all for just a few quid spent on a couple of bolts.
Thanks, handy tutorial, now a tutorial on how to get new ones back in easily
Excellent step-by-step pictorial guide!
I will make it a sticky